Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A New (and Sadly Final) Road Trip to Massachusetts Cut Way Too Short

If you remember correctly, my last posting indicated that now that my pain is in a controllable state that I'd start hitting the road again. I had planned a long weekend in Massachusetts and was looking forward to this trip for weeks. But as the old Biblical adage says: "The spirit is willing but the body is weak" (Matthew 26:41).  It's not often you find me quoting this work of fiction but it seemed relevant.

I started out for Massachusetts on Thursday for a 5 day long weekend. The most important part of this visit was seeing my rock star students. I've been getting messages for months about when I would be back for a promised visit and I knew I just couldn't disappoint my cherubs, so in discussions with my former principal, we decided the last day of school would be the optimal day. This way there wouldn't be any disruption to their studies. But how do you make sure that students show up on that last day -- my kiddos are notorious about blowing off the final day of school.  Simply enough, a few days before you spread the rumor that Ms. Smith will be coming to visit on that day. Instead of 4 or 5 students showing, we had a dozens. It warmed my heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all. This is Sandi's brother Tom. The above was the last blog she completed. She came home Saturday extremely ill and yet she managed to start this blog. I believe she may have had more to say, but I believe you get the gist. She loved her kids and was ecstatic to see the turnout. However, I believe the trip and the excitement in her frail condition may have took a toll on her. But deep down, I think she knew. She piloted this cancer from the start. She was not going to let this cancer dictate or control her life. I'm proud of her. She was one of a kind and I'll miss her til the end of my days. There will be one more post after this one. I'll polish that one up and post soon.

3 comments:

Sheryl Kass said...

Thank you Tom - Sandi was an amazing person and I would like to remember her through her writing.

Franka said...

Thank you Tom. Sandi was a beautiful friend and a wonderful person. I love her dearly, she will live on in all of us who knew her.

Judy Griffin said...

Thank you Tom. I will forever remember my little cousin. She was a brave soul and did it her way. Courage to be emulated and admired. I am sad for the years lost in between, but am grateful for our reconnect of the last few years. Always had a softspot for Our little Queen Bee. Having the faith, I for one hope she is up with the angels and rest of your family happily reunited and enjoying the existance she was robbed of on earth. Love you all. Keep in touch. Judy