Friday, July 26, 2013

Second Chemotherapy Treatment Completed...

This is the machine I am
tethered to for 5 hours!
...Let the games begin.

I wish someone could explain why sitting in a chair getting treatment for 5 hours is quite possibly one of the longest and most exhausting day EVER! I walked out feeling like someone had pummeled me. 

The day was pretty similar to what I wrote about in my Chemotherapy Begins! posting, but I thought I'd describe some of the things that I didn't before.  For instance, have you ever not had the use of one hand for 5 hours and you still are trying to be productive. Due to the placement of the needle on the top of my left hand, I'm limited to only using my right hand. I'm grateful that I'm right-handed, but we tend to forget how many things we need both hands to do efficiently. 

Examples: Opening a bottle of water one-handed is always interesting, or doing a crossword puzzle or reading. It's really hard to keep books open with one hand. But the most annoying task is toity breaks.  Ever try going to the bathroom with only being able to use one hand - in addition to dragging along a rather large piece of equipment (see photo above) and trying not moving the aforementioned left hand. I challenge you to try it. It's a pain in the arse! In fact, I challenge everyone to bandage up their non-dominant hand and try to do things for a few hours using only your dominant hand.  It's an interesting exercise.

Otherwise, there is not much else to report. I fully expect the next few days will be less than spectacular. Too bad as the weather is supposed to be amazing over the next few days and I'd rather be out and about.  Maybe I can muddle through and still go and do something fun.

* * *
I'd like to give special thanks to a few people who sent/brought me some amazing items - all of these gifts were received yesterday (July 25) and they are fantastic! Shout outs to: my New Jersey-bred, Texas-residing cousin who sent me a real Texas cowgirl hat; my book club who chipped in to purchase a Ninja Master Prep to help me make some delicious fruit smoothies; and last but not least, two of my dearest friends in NYC who sent a "Sandi Survival Kit" which consists of: dvds of some of my favorite movies/shows to cheer me up, bath products to pamper myself, a survivor t-shirt and hat, an Amazon Kindle gift certificate, the softest, most fun colorful socks, and a gift certificate for Wendy's - when smoothies just won't do it and I need a Frosty.  :-)  Thank you, my friends and family. You're the best, most amazing people and I am grateful to have you in my life!

7 comments:

Lauren said...

sending you good vibes and wishing you a full recovery xxx

Sandi said...

Thanks, my love. Give England my best!

Jodi said...

xoxox I'm going to only use 1 hand while using the potty for the rest of the weekend! ;-)

Sandi said...

Nice!! Can't wait to hear the results. :-D

Stacie said...

<3 love, love, love you. I know how rough the next few days can be. Mom is in the midst of it now. BIG HUGS!! <3

Sandi said...

<3 Give your mom a big hug from me. Sending her and you all my love. xoxox

Marianne said...

You are very welcome. Lots of love was sent along with the hat! <3