Thursday, June 23, 2011

US Postal Service Rantings!

I swore that I would try to keep my blog posts positive but something seriously needs to be done about the US Postal Service in NY.  Here's the story:

In early May, I put in a change of address effective June 1 from NYC to Newburyport.  Easy enough.  I gave them 3 weeks notice.  After about 3-4 days, I noticed that I wasn't getting any mail.  I called my local post office and spoke with Maria, my mail carrier in NYC who indicated that yes, my mail was being held already in preparation for my change of address.  <sigh>  She said that she would fix it in the computer and left a note the next day on my mail stating that she changed it so that effective June 1 my mail would be forwarded.  Sounds perfect, right??  

Jump ahead to today.  I realized that I have been in Massachusetts now 3 weeks and noticed that I have not received one piece of forwarded mail.  Now I know I'm good at giving my change of address out but still it seems unlikely that I would have remembered to let everyone know about my change of address.  So I called my old carrier today.  She remembered everything that occurred in early May -- except she thought that I was still living in the apartment!  WTF?!?!  So she has been delivering my mail for the past 3 weeks... TO MY OLD APARTMENT!!!!   ARGH!!!  Once again I am so glad not to be living in NYC where incompetency runs amok and people get rewarded for stupidity.  And while I know that incompetency and stupidity are a world-wide phenomenon, it seems that NYC has a higher rate of these traits than anywhere else.  Or maybe it's just that I hate NYC so much.  Either way, I'm glad I'm gone.   

<Okay, Sandi...breathe in, breathe out...deep cleansing breaths>  I feel better now. 

No comments: