Monday, June 27, 2011

5K Run or Bust!


For the past few years, I have participated in the Susan G. Komen Race/Walk for a Cure in Central Park, NYC and this year will be no different.  Well, there is a slight difference this year as I have been challenged by my friend, Sheryl to actually RUN this event and not walk like we usually do.  Seriously??  Running??  Unless someone is chasing me with a knife, I've never understood the appeal of running.  Last fall, I attempted to become a runner on the advice of another friend and I tried... HONEST!  I tried!  And had it not been for a week long trip to the hospital and the awful winter we had, I might have stuck with it, but instead I spent the winter laying on the couch watching the snow fall instead of exercising. 

Soooooo, I now have almost 12 weeks to train for this race.  Okay, to be honest, I actually started training 2 weeks ago, but I didn't want to mention it until I fully committed to this endeavor.  Now it looks like I'm on a mission to at least attempt to run on Sunday, September 18 for 5 kilometers... that's 3.1 miles for those of us who never really grabbed onto the metric system.  I'm training for this run with a very smart application on my iTouch called "Couch to 5K."  What it does is gradual increase your running time in increments.  For instance, the first week, I started with 5 minute warm up walk, then I ran for 60 seconds, walked for 90 seconds, ran for 60 seconds, walked for 90 seconds, etc.  Then each week the running increases while the walking decreases and (according to the application) I should be running a 5k in 9 weeks time by training a mere 3 days a week.  Hmmmm.  Sounds easy enough. 

Of course, my first time out (when I reached the end of the 20 minute work out), I thought I might throw up and pass out and found myself cursing Sheryl with the vehemence of a drunken sailor, but today I started week 3 and it is getting easier, surprisingly - although the urge to vomit is still there.  While I still don't love running (and probably never will), I am determined that I will succeed in September by actually running this important event.  I suspect that grandmothers with walkers will probably beat my time.  I will post occasional updates and keep you apprised of my progress.  I hope everyone will support me in the Fall and help make this run a complete success.  Sheryl, I love you but your killing me with this challenge.  :-)

The Susan G. Komen Foundation is a wonderful charity.  They were there for me when I went through my breast cancer treatment and I like paying it forward and making sure that this foundation continues their good works for future breast cancer patients.  Let's hope a cure is found soon!

2 comments:

paige said...

:-) way to go!!

SnarkyTom said...

My spirit is running with you. My body has no umph left to cheer for you.