Friday, March 9, 2012

A Literary Festival?? Count Me In!!!

One of the many selling points (for me) of my new town is the annual Newburyport Literary Festival - now in its 7th year.  When I was considering places in which to live, I was immediately attracted to the fact that Newburyport has this wonderful literary tradition. After arriving in Newburyport in June 2011, I happened to be checking out the local Chamber of Commerce website and noticed that the festival was looking for some new members for the planning committee. I immediately emailed the co-chairs, offering my assistance in any way. This was one of the best decisions I had made in a long time. Working with approximately 8 or 9 of the most amazing women on this extraordinary festival has been the highlight of my year. I am so excited for this year's festival that I wanted to write this blog, encouraging anyone within driving distance to please stop by.  

This year's festival, scheduled for April 27 and 28, will be honoring Newburyport poet, Alfred Nicol and celebrating "The Lyrical Voice."  While there isn't a set schedule yet, the festival will be featuring some of the best writers in the young adult, children's, fiction and nonfiction genres.  A brief list of some of the authors making appearances at this year's festival is:  Diary of a Wimpy Kid author Jeff Kinney, Tony Abbott, Andre Dubus III, Ron Della Chiesa, Anne Easter Smith, folk singer extraordinaire and author Christine Lavin, Robert Pinksy and many, many more.  Check out the festival's website for the complete list.

In addition to helping raise funds through planning our silent auction, I will also be moderating one of our panels - the mystery panel "On the Edge of Our Seats: Why Kids Love Suspense" with two of the most amazing mystery writers for children:  Tony Abbott and Elise Broach.  If you haven't read any of their novels, please do. While they are geared toward children, even as a adult, I found them to very amusing, well-written and engrossing. 

Please mark your calendars and come visit Newburyport the weekend of the festival.  I promise you it will be a thoroughly packed, entertaining weekend - plus New England in the spring is one of the most beautiful places to be.

Update on 4/8/12:  The final schedule can now be viewed on the festival's website.  Check it out!!


No comments: