Sunday, January 8, 2012

Online Dating? Ugh!

At the suggestion of a friend of mine, I signed up for a dating website. Not necessarily to find a mate, but mostly as a chance to meet new people where I live. (I won't mention which site I picked.) Suffice to say that this is a disgusting practice!  Previously, I have gone down the rocky road of dating websites (a number of times, in fact) and I hated it each time and swore I wouldn't do it again, but my friend's reasoning seemed sound this time. "It'll give you a chance to meet other people in the area and make new friends.  And who knows... maybe, just maybe..."  Ahem.  Ummmm.  Rrrrriiight!  Within minutes of posting my profile, I received 4 emails.  Flattering, but reeking of desperation. Not one of them could form a complete sentence (I know that's snobby, but... see July 13, 2011 blog) and most of the respondents are either looking to go from "how to do you do" to "let's get married" or looking for a friend with benefits.  Sorry, but neither one of those scenarios fits into my world.  Thanks for playing.

I quickly have come to the conclusion I am completed disinterested in this practice. I've been told that I'm going about this process with the wrong attitude but it's really hard polishing a turd as Mythbusters has shown us. Whoever came up with online dating needs to be taken down.  Dating is hard to begin with but when you add the sleazy aspect of online dating to the process, it becomes untenable. But how does one go about meeting people?  Always the age old question. <shrugs>

Ah, well.  There's nothing at all wrong with being alone. I like myself and think I'm fascinating and riveting company. And at the very least my cat thinks so too! 

2 comments:

Jodi Hammond said...

I hear ya sista! But I do have a few friends that actually married a person they met on-line!

Jod

Sandi said...

Ah! Those lucky few!