Friday, February 1, 2013

Want a Little Drama? How About...

Now back to continuing my movie recommendations: shall we move onto dramas? I love dramatic movies. (Okay, I just love movies. Who doesn't?)  Choosing my top 5 dramas was actually much easier than I thought it would be.  The movies on my list are films that I watch again and again and just love every moment that I'm watching. I don't think there are any surprises here.
  1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994): It doesn't matter how many times I see this movie, I am always blown away by the performances delivered by Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. Based on a short story by Stephen King and nominated for 7 Academy Awards (sadly, losing all), this story encompasses friendships, hardships, hopes, and dreams. And what makes this movie so fantastic is that it is incredibly moving and gives hope. It's everything that a superior movie should be. Red: "Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane." (Yes, I am aware that I picked a quote that is in direct contrast to the theme of the movie!)
  2. Amadeus (1984):  A thousand years ago when I was studying music in college, I had already figured out that Mozart was my favorite classical composer (followed by Rachmaninoff), so going to see this movie was a joy but it was also a requirement for passing one of my music classes. Winner of 8 Academy Awards - including Best Picture and Best Actor in a Leading Role (F. Murray Abraham), this movie is enchanting and mezmerizing. F. Murray's performance as Salieri is masterful, as is Tom Hulce's embodiment of the brilliant, albeit obnoxious, Mozart. Plus one must not deny that the score would be categorized as genius! Mozart: "Forgive me, Majesty. I am a vulgar man! But I assure you, my music is not."
  3. The Green Mile (1999):  Another thrilling movie based on an incredible Stephen King story. I love, love, love this movie. Nominated for 4 Academy Awards, this film stars one of my favorite actors, Tom Hanks who is consistently amazing. True to form, he is not a disappointment in this movie. Despite the tragic ending for John Coffey, this movie too encompasses friendships, hardships, hopes, and dreams - themes that King seems to favor.  Old Paul Edgecomb: "I guess sometimes the past just catches up with you, whether you want it to or not."
  4. Schindler's List (1993):  You have to love a movie that stars: Liam Neeson, Sir Ben Kingsley, and Ralph Fiennes and is directed by the astounding Stephen Speilberg! Nominated for 12 Academy Awards and winner of 7, Schindler's List is a reminder that there can be humanity and caring in this crazy world and that hope can be found in the most unexpected places. This movie is arguably the best holocaust-themed movie. Oskar Schindler: "Stern, if this factory ever produces a shell that can actually be fired, I'll be very unhappy."
  5. The Godfather (1972):  Nominated for 11 Academy Awards and winner of 3, it took me nearly 20 years after its release to get around to watching this film. I don't know how or why I avoided seeing it for so long, but it was well worth my time. With a deeply talented cast: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duval, Diane Keaton and Abe Vigoda, this movie is incredible! Sonny: "Goddamn FBI don't respect nothin'." Interesting trivia:  "Marlon Brando won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance, but turned down the Oscar, becoming the second actor to refuse a Best Actor award (the first being George C. Scott for Patton). Brando boycotted the Academy Award ceremony, sending instead American Indian Rights activist Sacheen Littlefeather, who appeared in full Apache dress, to state Brando's reasons, which were based on his objection to the depiction of American Indians by Hollywood and television. Al Pacino also boycotted the Academy Award ceremony, as he was insulted at being nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor award, noting that he had more screen time than his co-star and Best Actor winner Marlon Brando and thus he should have received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor." (Wikipedia)
As always, I have some honorable mentions for this category: The Godfather, Part II (1974), Gone With the Wind (1939),  To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), Memento (2000), and Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (1996).  There are many, many, many more but I had to limit my list!

No comments: